Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Note: I'd written this post a loooong time ago, but the Blogger app on my iPad crapped out and completely failed to function the entire time I was on vacation. Boo and hiss! I can't even articulate how much I've missed you guys and how much I've missed blogging, so I'm excited to be back home and writing! So, although this post is now way old, I'm going to publish it anyways. :)

Greetings from Tejas!

In keeping with the title of this post, it's been a bit of a mixed bag lately. I'll start with the bad: shortly after Brandon and I arrived here, we were quickly struck down with some heinous local strain of the flu. (And this after getting a flu shot back in September! WTF, immune system?!) Brandon and I are rocking fevers, body aches, and congestion. I also have a rattling chest cough, which I'm pretty sure is  a Christmas and/or New Year's miracle.

I had all these grand designs for running and working out while on vacation (hence my suitcase full of gym clothes)...but, as we all know, (wo)man makes plans and God laughs.

Instead of running, I'm counting the hours until I can take my next dose of Tylenol and Mucinex. Instead of hitting the gym, I'm wrapped up in a blanket and drinking tea. My workouts consist of coughing fits.

I'm determined to find the silver lining in situations like this, though: so, if nothing more, Brandon and I have been convalescing and enjoying the fact that we get to watch all of season 2 of Homeland (we don't have Showtime at home, but Brandon's parents do - so this means we won't have to wait and wait and wait for it to come out on DVD). 

The other silver lining here is that we have the time and space to rest as much as needed. We're not at home, where work obligations and moving prep would conspire to keep us from resting, and we're not on the sort of vacation where we had huge sightseeing plans that have now been thwarted. If we'd gotten the flu on our trip to the UK last summer, that would've been awful - but we're with our families, and we're here to see people, not things. Although we haven't been at our best, we've still been able to spend time with the ones we love.

So, all the elements of my health and fitness routine are temporarily on hold, but I figure that's okay - there'll be time for that soon enough. But I really, really look forward to being able to breathe without coughing. When that day comes, I'm going directly to the National Mall for a long run!

2 comments:

  1. Sending you guys lots of love and a Theraflu stock if you need it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have one amazing attitude about this, darlin! Seriously, I would be pouting like all get (and probably trying to do stuff anyway, let's be honest)...I'm glad that you found these silver linings and I hope you were able to do some stuff outside the house before you came home :)

    ReplyDelete