Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Now That's What I'm Talkin' About

Hello, DC: I'm baaaa-ack!

We got in late last night, after an hour-long flight delay and the oh-so-fun realization when we got to the airport parking garage that our car battery was dead. That was the bad part, but the good news is that I'm happy to be getting back into my routine and back to blogging. I missed this like woah!

Brandon and I are also finally recovering from the flu, which is a huge relief. It turns out that Texas is home to a particularly virulent strain of the flu virus - which is apparently too hardcore to be deterred by the flu shot - and we're pretty certain that this is what felled us. I'm still totally wiped out, but I'm definitely on the upswing, and breathing is getting easier by the day. Progress!

Since I'm not yet back at 100%, I decided to continue resting and recovering instead of getting up early to hit the gym. I originally set my alarm for my usual 0530 wake-up and sweat session, but as I finally crawled into bed at 11:15 last night, the wise, quiet voice in the back of my mind spoke up: Self, what on Earth are you doing setting your alarm for that hour? You're still getting over this ridiculous sickness, you still have a cough, and you know your body is going to be really unhappy if you only get 6 hours of sleep. Turn off the alarm. There will be plenty of other days for your early morning workouts once you're healthy. But tomorrow is not that day. 


And so, I heeded my own advice (something I'm trying to be better about) and switched off the alarm. As it turns out, I really needed the extra rest. (This comes as a huge shock, I know.) I'm hopeful that I'll be able to make it to the gym tomorrow, but even if I need to wait another day, that's okay too. 

Contributing to my recovery (or at least making me feel more upbeat, even if they're not kicking the flu's butt for me) are two awesome pieces of news I got earlier this week: I've been accepted as an ambassador for both Girls Gone Sporty and Greatist

*Does happy dance*

I'm incredibly excited to be part of these two amazing organizations. They each have areas of focus that I admire and want to be a part of: Girls Gone Sporty is an amazing fitness, healthy living, fashion, and beauty resource for us gals who love to get out there and get our sweat on, and I love GGS's emphasis on fun and adventure. (After all: what's life without a good dose of both?!) 

Girls Gone Sporty

Greatist's mission - to help make healthy choices easier for those who want to live healthier, happier lives - is equally fantastic. People need resources in order to help steer them towards healthier choices both big and small, and Greatist happily steps into that role. 


I can't wait to do whatever I can to help contribute to their respective missions!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the ambassadorships!! They couldn't have chosen anyone better. So bummed you're still sick though... :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yayyyyyyyyyyyyy!!! Awesome news in all of this!! You guys are recovering, you listened and let your body get the extra rest it needed, and you earned some more ambassadorships!! So so so happy for you :) And incredibly glad to see you back!! Missed you terribly while you were away :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on becoming an ambassador to both programs! I am so glad you were chosen. You truly are going to set an amazing example <3

    ReplyDelete