Thursday, January 24, 2013

Thankful Thursday: The Big Day Is Almost Here

Good morning, loves - Happy Thursday!

For this week's Thankful Thursday (many thanks to Jessie from Jessie Loves to Run for hosting), I have one key point of gratitude to focus on: the fact that the big move is almost upon us.


1

Full disclosure? Sweet fancy Moses, am I ever ready for this move to be over. I'm sick and tired of packing boxes. I want to be on the other side of this gig, stat. I miss all my kitchen supplies, which have been packed up for the last few days. I miss my stuff.
This is what I see when I walk in the door each night. Blergh.
Now, I know everybody talks about the importance of owning less. I've lost count of the number of times I've heard people carry on about this. The more stuff you own, the more your stuff owns you. Roger that.

(Insert other pithy Zen-like phrases here.)

But the fact is, we moved a lot when I was growing up, and the one thing that remained constant for me was my stuff. My belongings -- my art posters, my books, my pictures, my bedspread -- were the only things that helped me stay grounded whenever there was a lot of upheaval in my life. They provided stability and a sense of continuity, which was comforting when faced with a new school (or, in the case of our move to Pennsylvania when I was 16, a new town that I'd never even heard of before we moved there).
 
I swear, we're not alcoholics - liquor stores are a great source of free boxes!
As a result, I'm the total opposite of all those Zenned-out minimalists. I'm very, very attached to my stuff. I feel terribly unmoored -- and ridiculously agitated -- when I can't have access to my belongings.

This also means I'm totally neurotic about unpacking once I move into a new place. On more than one occasion, I've forgone sleep just so I can get everything unpacked, organized, put away, and decorated within the first 48 hours of moving. If it takes longer than that to re-gain access to my belongings, I start getting twitchy.

With all that in mind, I'm incredibly glad that this process of migration is nearing its end. 48 hours from now, we'll be loading up the truck, and I'll be a very relieved cowgirl. :)

6 comments:

  1. I am with you, I need to be fully moved in before I can even think about relaxing. however, I have like no stuff, people still walk into my apartment and think no one lives there, I just don't have a lot of stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! I can't even contemplate taking a break or relaxing until everything has a home. :)

      Delete
  2. Omg I'm the same way! I put everything away the second my family goes home after I move, even if I'm up till 3 doing so. I cannot stand living with boxes and trash and clutter around. Joe will be in for quite a surprise when we move in may...he doesn't have to find out before then either ;) good luck love!! Almost done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I look forward to hearing about Joe's reaction to this! Brandon is totally bewildered by it; he's said more than once that he's perfectly happy to move in and go straight to sleep. I think that's what'll happen: we'll return the truck, have some dinner, he'll hit the hay and wake up to an apartment that's fully set up. I, meanwhile, will be either teetering on the edge of psychosis from a bajillion cups of coffee or faceplanted on the couch from exhaustion.

      Delete
  3. OMG I am the exact same way when it comes to unpacking. I absolutely cannot function if my things are all over the place and not put away where they belong. The weekend we moved from our apartment to our house, I swear. I didn't sit down or stop moving until everything was done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, maybe I know this but if so, I have forgotten... Where exactly in PA did you move too?

    &&& good luck w/ your move girl. So happy it's finally here :)

    ReplyDelete