Friday, January 11, 2013

Gluten-Free Spinach, Turkey, and Cheddar Quiche

One of my all-time favorite things in life is having brunch on the weekends. Even if my brunch companions consist of me, myself, and I (and an obscene amount of HGTV, Fashion Police, or What Not to Wear), brunch lends itself to all sorts of fabulousness.

As part of any brunchy awesomeness, I also love to make quiche. Now, here's the thing: I love eggs (from my head down to my legs). But, as I learned in Weight Watchers, it'd be easy to blow a ton of my daily points on a quiche -- even if it's of the crustless, gluten-free variety.

However, now that I've been in Weight Watchers for almost one year, I've amassed a decent bag of tricks when it comes to lightening up my favorite recipes to make them WW-friendly. This GF crustless quiche recipe has become a go-to dish for me over the last few months -- it's protein-packed, delicious, and incredibly easy to prepare. Credit goes to my friend Sara for originally introducing me to lightened up quiches, since she brought two of her creations to brunch back in July and instantly had me hooked for life on these things.


I also like cooking one on the weekend and then taking slices to work with me during the week for a quick and easy mid-morning snack. (I have the world's most insane protein cravings right around 10:30 each morning, and a slice of quiche satisfies that need right away.)

Cook this up if you're looking for a lightened-up brunch dish!

What you'll need:
  • 1/3 cup chopped frozen spinach, thawed and drained of excess liquid
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1/4 cup fat free half and half
  • 1/3 cup diced low-fat cheddar cheese (or Swiss, or Gouda, or any low-fat cheese of your choice)
  • 1/4 cup diced deli turkey (I like Applegate Farms' herbed turkey breast)
  • 1 12-ounce container Egg Beaters
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon dried garlic granules
  • Salt and pepper to taste

How to do it:
  1. Pre-heat oven to 350.
  2. Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl, and mix 'em up.
  3. Pour into a pie dish (or casserole dish) pre-treated with Pam non-stick spray
  4. Bake for 35 minutes at 350, or until the top of the quiche is starting to get a lovely golden, crispy look to it
  5. Remove from oven and cool for 10-15 minutes
Step 3: Before cooking
Step 5: Chillin'

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm I love making things like this! Definitely adding this my list of must makes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never made a quiche before, but this one seems simple enough & pretty delicious =)

    ReplyDelete