Thursday, January 17, 2013

Thankful Thursday: Tea, Time, and Ralph Waldo Emerson

So. I had big plans to post the recipe for spaghetti squash with Bolognese sauce today, but a certain someone (cough cough, me, cough cough) was up late last night in a cleaning and packing frenzy (due in large part to the fact that we finally jettisoned our dried up Christmas tree, which left a trail of needles deeper and wider than the Mississippi River) and has been dragging throughout the day.

Adding to which, I totally thought it was Friday when I woke up this morning, so the fact that it's Thursday felt...slightly cruel.

It was an "I need another cup of chai" day, but that statement was repeated approximately eleventy bajillion times over the course of the last 12 hours. It was the kind of evening when, once I learned I'd be on my own for dinner, I scrapped my plans to make turkey burgers and instead chose to eat an inappropriate amount of cinnamon Chex.

And now I just don't have it in me to put together a recipe post. Tomorrow, however, it'll happen!

Tomorrow

And! The fact remains that the long weekend is in sight, which in and of itself is cause for celebration. And! Speaking of cause for celebration, it's officially time for Thankful Thursday, hosted by the delightful Jessie from Jessie Loves to Run. I always enjoy taking time out of my week to be grateful for all the things that are going well; it can be really easy (too easy) to focus on the things that are aggravating, so re-directing my attention to the positive things in life is a welcome activity. :)

1

...The fact that we don't move into our new place for another week. I'm chomping at the bit to get into our new home, but -- as I may have mentioned a time or forty -- there's a lot of stuff to do to get ready, and I'm glad we have a bit more time to get it done.

...The upcoming long weekend. I love, love, love long weekends (who doesn't?), especially when they coincide with a time when my to-do list seems as long as an adult brontosaurus. Things feel a lot less overwhelming when you have an extra day off.

...An upcoming visit from my aunt and cousin this weekend. They're going to be visiting DC for the inauguration, and I can't wait to see them!

...Tea. I know, I know: this is seriously mundane, but it's seriously fabulous. I love tea in all its forms, and nothing warms my soul like a hot cup of herbal tea on a cold winter's night.
 
...Quotes from authors whom I love. This quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson is part of a prayer that we used to say before dinner each night when I was growing up, and it perfectly sums up all the things for which I'm immensely grateful:
 for each new morning with its light, for rest and shelter of the night, for health and food, for love and friends, for everything thy goodness sends. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE that quote :) and those are all awesome things to be thankful for...especially the tea and long weekend ;) Have fun with your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the long weekend is something I am super thankful for as well. it is great you have a bit more time to move

    ReplyDelete